The history of Dereszla Winery
Follow the history of this winery with one of the richest histories in the Tokaj Wine Region from the 15th century to today.
We opened our Henye Wine Bar and Event centre, part of Dereszla, with a grand concert at the end of March. Since then it has been the venue for our very popular event series Keresztúr Nights (Keresztúri esték). Since July Henye Guesthouse has offered 5 double rooms for guests in search of relaxation..
From 2016 Dereszla Winery continues as a Hungarian-owned company.
Since the 2015 vintage, Henye Winery, part of the Dereszla group, has made our dry wines and Pezsgő (methode traditionelle sparkling wine).
Our winery was completed by early 2007. The processing plant, logistics centre and administration buildings were built in the style of the historic cellar entrance and pressing house.
In 2000, following several years of neglect, the D’Aulan family of Champagne realised it was worth renovating this cellar with great history. The cellar system was renovated to return it to its original state together and renewed the entire winemaking technology.
The uppermost and also the youngest cellar part of our present cellar system was carved out at the start of the 19th century. Owned by the Jewish Sopron wine merchant Kláber family, it was nationalised after the Holocaust . In 1945 the main branches of the cellar system came into the ownership of the Tokaj wine cooperative (Tokaji Borforgalmi Vállalat) set up in the same year. Then it became the purchase and aging cellar of the state wine company Tokaji Borkombinát. In the privatisation wave of the 1990s, it became the property of the largest agricultural cooperative company in France, CANA in the Loire, in 1992.
One of the bloodiest battles of the Hungarian Revolution took place in Bodrogkeresztúr in January 1849. The cannonball framed by the national colours lodged in the wall of the Wine Shop commemorates Hungarian victory.
In 1691 Julianna married the French noble and lieutenant-general Ferdinand-Gobert Aspremont-Reckheim. Julianna died in 1717 at the age of just 45.
Her husband, 29 years older than her, Count Ferdinand-Gobert Aspremont-Reckheim had been buried in 1708.
The House of Aspremont was left without a male heir at the end of the 18th century and with the marriage of the only female descendant the Bodrogkeresztúr cellar with such turbulent history became a Wolkenstein estate. They managed the matters of the four stunning cellars belonging to the manorial estate until 1945.
In 1645, following the Peace of Linz, the present-day cellar system became one of the Rákóczi family’s important estates. At the time of the Rákóczi War of Independence the wines aged here no longer increased the wealth of Ruling Prince Francis II Rákóczi as the cellar had passed to his sister Julianna Rákóczi in the 1699 division of assets.
From 1605 ruling princes of Transylvania Bocskai and then Bethlen managed the estates and their cellars on the northern side of Dereszla Hill.
Part of the Hunyadi domain from the 1450s, it is probable that one of Hungary’s most popular kings Matthias Hunyadi visited the cellars.
It was part of the imperial Habsburg estates during the Ottoman occupation.
The first known written mention of this Bodrogkeresztúr cellar was in the early-15th century when an inventory reports that cellars owned by King Sigismund were used to collect and store wine offered as part of the tithes